|The Orkney Islands are steeped in history and folklore, indeed Scapa Flow where the distillery sits still hides the ghostly wrecks of the German fleet, scuttled after the end of World War 1. The distillery was opened in 1885 and embarked on a century of production involving few changes of ownership. It was silent for two years from 1934 and was rebuilt in 1959 with|
the floor maltings ceasing production a few years later. Further internal improvements were made in 1978 including the installation of a Lomond type still.
The water supply carries a considerable amount of peat from the Lingro Burn and local springs, as a result of which the barley it uses is left unpeated.