| Spencerfield Farmhouse, their HQ, sits upon the high ground to the east of Inverkeithing in Fife, surrounded by fields of wheat and barley and Scotland overlooking the Firth of Forth and the monumental Forth Rail Bridge. Here the house has stood since it was built around 1510 as a defensive tower house watching over Inverkeithing harbour and guarding the trade routes between the Highlands, Edinburgh and the south.|
In 1559 the land at Spencerfield was gifted by the Franciscan Friary of Inverkeithing to John Scott. The farmhouse was initially built as a defensive tower house with an outlook across to Queensferry and the Forth in the south, to Dunfermline in the north and westward to Stirling. Four stories tall with crow stepped gables to a z-plan design with an entrance to the second floor on the north face in shadow where enemies found it more difficult to observe comings and goings of the inhabitants.
Life remained turbulent in Scotland and after Charles II was executed in 1649 Cromwell sent troops north to deal with the traditional royalist supporters. After a winter of bombarding the Fife coastline in 1651 the battle of Inverkeithing was fought and Cromwell's troops were victorious; if that can describe leaving 2000 Scottish royalists dead on the battlefield near Rosyth Castle. Awaiting transport back across the Forth the troops were billeted at the house where their celebrations fuelled with whisky from the distillery next door got a little out of hand; the revelry resulted in the soldiers setting light to their gunpowder store and blowing off the east wing of the house. The house was then ransacked before they left according to the historian Reverend Wm Stephen with 'a great quantity of silver plate, arras, hangings, carpets and other household plenishing'.
However, enough survived of the house for it to be featured in Blaeu's famous Atlas of 1654.
|Item Total||£ 0.00|
|Grand Total||£ 0.00|