1686-1689: In the past, the Medoc was, known as a wild and solitary region, a thankless and hostile land, invaded by marshes. The XVIIth century was witness to the transformation of the landscape when entrepreneurial men created the great vineyards of the modern Medoc. 'Forty gravelly parcels 'in Saint Lambert near Pauillac.
The archives record the creation of a property by Pierre de Mazure de Rauzan, a great name in the history of Bordeaux wine. The vineyard was to take his name sometime later when Therese, the founder's daughter received it as dowry when she married Jacques de Pichon Longueville, the first President of the Parlement de Bordeaux.
Thus began the history of one of the Greatest Bordeaux vineyards, that over a period of more than 250 years has conserved its integrity under the same family.
1850: The Baron Joseph de Pichon Longueville decided to share the domain between his five children. In a spirit of equality, he applied a very simple mathematical rule. His two sons would receive two fifths of the vineyard and its equipment, and his three daughters would receive the other three fifths.
However, in the absence of descendants, only two children finally inherited the property: Raoul inherited the part destined for the sons, Virginie for the daughters. After a period of several years during which the property was administered by the Baron Raoul de Pichon Longueville, the rupture was effective. From then on the lands of Pichon Longueville would have two very different futures. Anticipating this indivision, Virginie married Count Henri de Lalande, and took over the control of the domain, the Count giving her independence and the title of Comtesse de Lalande. From 1840, wishing to remain in the heart of the Medoc on the land of Pichon Longueville, he ordered the Bordeaux architect, Duphot to design a residence inspired by the Hotel de Lalande in Bordeaux where her husband had spent his childhood. Her passion for vines and the quality of her management made her a strong personality in the Medoc in the last century, leaving her mark on the domain that has kept her name.
In 1855, during the classing that was carried out under Napoleon III, the Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande acquired the status of Second Cru Classe.
1900-1925: The prestigious lines of the Pichon Longueville and the Lalande families had ended by the end of the century. The domain passed from aunts to nieces down through the generations.
In 1920 the Medoc was bled white by the Great War, the vineyards auctioned. Despite these hard times, Edouard and Louis Miailhe, descendants of an old Bordeaux family of Vineyard owners and wine dealers, bought the Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande in 1925. 1978-Present: May Eliane de Lencquesaing, the daughter of Edouard Miailhe, became the owner and administrator of the Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande. She quite naturally revived the tradition of the Comtesse de Lalande, personally overseeing the management of the family domain with her passion for wine and strict management. Over three centuries only two families had worked with such vigor for the renown of the Chateau and its wines.