Castello di Corbara
Among the families of nobile origin that in feudal times settled in the territory to the right of the Tiber river, Montemarte family was undoubtedly one of the most important ones, administring the areas east of Orvieto and towards Todi from their castles of Montemarte and Corbara.
In the land register of the contado of 1292, Corbara was listed as a castrum in the rural parish of Santa Maria da Stiolo, coinciding in good part with the present estate of Corbara at the spot where Paglia and Tiber rivers meet.
The habitual residence of the Counts of Corbara was the castle itself,even though it was listed as a municipal territory at least up to the seventeenth century. There was in fact the need of personal supervision for their vast agrarian holdings,which were gradually turning into modern farms, abreast of the times.
At the end of the nineteenth century, the estate of Corbara became property of the Banca Romana. In 1889/90 the bank financed excavations that brought to light the Roman port of Pagliano, in opus reticulatum, located at the confluence of the two rivers named above. this archaeological site gained great importance, in history, for commercial and economic relations between Rome and the immediate hinterland. Thanks to continuing studies, protection and restoration of the structures this site can now be visited.
The Azienda Agricola Castello di Corbara as it is now mirrors faithfully the new comprehensive program of the entire range of activities whole-heartedly undertaken by the entrepreneurial group that bought the property in 1997. The underlying concepts of this new management include the inherent need to salvage values such as the respect of the territory, whose authenticity is always reflected by every single wine produced.