TheDrinkShop.com Logo

Andre Brunel

domaine-les-cailloux.fr   Andre Brunel Logo

Andre Brunel is one of the shrewdest producers in Chateauneuf-Du-Pape and consistently produces some of the best examples from an appellation that is so often overhyped and overpriced. His family has been producing wine in Chateauneuf since the 18th century and Andre joined his father in the cellars in 1971. He now has 21 hectares of vineyards located at Mont Redon near the north-east boundary of the Chateauneuf appellation.

Vine cultivation, already known to the Gauls, was widely developed by the Romans. Monks were the first to clear the land and cultivate these vineyards and Bishops were instrumental in extending vine cultivation. In 1157, in keeping with Roman tradition, Geoffrey, the Bishop of Avignon, planted vines and personally managed his own estate and was most certainly the owner of a vineyard located in his fief in Chateauneuf.

In the 13th century the village of Chateauneuf, with its 1000 inhabitants, grew rich and had already developed a flourishing vineyard (approximately 300 hectares).

In 1308, Clement V planted additional vine stock before he died some years later just after crossing the Rhone to return home. The Pope at Avignon was undoubtedly one of the first wine producers in Chateauneuf.

Under Pope John XXII, wine from Chateauneuf was regularly supplied to the Papal residence. John XXII was beyond doubt the prelate who participated most in developing the reputation of Chateauneuf-du-Pape wines and his legacy, the first appellation in the history of Chateauneuf, was the prestigious appellation of "Vin du Pape" that was later to become "Chateauneuf-du-Pape ".

John XXII was also responsible for building the famous castle. Today the remains of the proud Papas summer residence house the headquarters of the "Echansonnerie des Papes" a brotherhood that bears high and with pride the reputation of Chateauneuf-du-Pape . The final homage to this Papal lineage, the first to take pride in cultivating the sun-drenched fruit of their precious land.

Vine cultivation, already known to the Gauls, was widely developed by the Romans. Monks were the first to clear the land and cultivate these vineyards and Bishops were instrumental in extending vine cultivation. In 1157, in keeping with Roman tradition, Geoffrey, the Bishop of Avignon, planted vines and personally managed his own estate and was most certainly the owner of a vineyard located in his fief in Chateauneuf.

In the 13th century the village of Chateauneuf, with its 1000 inhabitants, grew rich and had already developed a flourishing vineyard (approximately 300 hectares).

In 1308, Clement V planted additional vine stock before he died some years later just after crossing the Rhone to return home. The Pope at Avignon was undoubtedly one of the first wine producers in Chateauneuf.

Under Pope John XXII, wine from Chateauneuf was regularly supplied to the Papal residence. John XXII was beyond doubt the prelate who participated most in developing the reputation of Chateauneuf-du-Pape wines and his legacy, the first appellation in the history of Chateauneuf, was the prestigious appellation of "Vin du Pape" that was later to become "Chateauneuf-du-Pape ".

John XXII was also responsible for building the famous castle. Today the remains of the proud Papas summer residence house the headquarters of the "Echansonnerie des Papes" a brotherhood that bears high and with pride the reputation of Chateauneuf-du-Pape . The final homage to this Papal lineage, the first to take pride in cultivating the sun-drenched fruit of their precious land.

Vine cultivation, already known to the Gauls, was widely developed by the Romans. Monks were the first to clear the land and cultivate these vineyards and Bishops were instrumental in extending vine cultivation. In 1157, in keeping with Roman tradition, Geoffrey, the Bishop of Avignon, planted vines and personally managed his own estate and was most certainly the owner of a vineyard located in his fief in Chateauneuf.

In the 13th century the village of Chateauneuf, with its 1000 inhabitants, grew rich and had already developed a flourishing vineyard (approximately 300 hectares).

In 1308, Clement V planted additional vine stock before he died some years later just after crossing the Rhone to return home. The Pope at Avignon was undoubtedly one of the first wine producers in Chateauneuf.

Under Pope John XXII, wine from Chateauneuf was regularly supplied to the Papal residence. John XXII was beyond doubt the prelate who participated most in developing the reputation of Ch������teauneuf-du-Pape wines and his legacy, the first appellation in the history of Chateauneuf, was the prestigious appellation of "Vin du Pape" that was later to become "Chateauneuf-du-Pape ".

John XXII was also responsible for building the famous castle. Today the remains of the proud Papas summer residence house the headquarters of the "Echansonnerie des Papes" a brotherhood that bears high and with pride the reputation of Chateauneuf-du-Pape . The final homage to this Papal lineage, the first to take pride in cultivating the sun-drenched fruit of their precious land.