The Glenelly Estate is in the Idas Valley, located in Stellenbosch, on the southern slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain.
Its origins date back to the seventeenth century. Simon van der Stel, Governor of the Cape, gave the land to the Huguenot Francois Villion.
In 1812, the estate passed to Johan Peter de Villiers, and finally in 1911 it became the property of a British Famliy, the Garlicks.
They owned it for 92 years until its purchase in 2003 by May-Eliane de Lencquesaing, who for over 30 years was the owner of the famous Bordeaux Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande, Pauillac Grand Cru Classe.