G & J Distillers
G&J Distillers has more than 250 years of heritage, distilling superior spirits to perfection since 1761. Our distillery in Warrington, North West England, is one of the oldest gin distilleries in the world and we are the oldest continuous gin distillers in production today.
With only seven Master Distillers since that date, continuity, consistency and expertise in crafting benchmark London Dry Gin has been guaranteed. A history of traditional skills and craftsmanship of distillation at G&J Greenall, combined with modern bottling and logistics facilities, ensures that G&J Distillers continues to maintain its reputation for producing and distributing a wide range of high quality gins and other spirits.
Our history began in 1760 when Thomas Dakin, the founder of the company that became G&J Greenall, identified a gap in the market for superior gin. Dakin purchased a property on Bridge Street in the town of Warrington in Cheshire, which became a well-established crossroads for trade and transport, benefitting from its location on the River Mersey and its connections with London.
Dakin began distilling gin in 1761 and the company continued to be successfully managed by the family for a century. During this time the business acquired an excellent reputation, selling premium gin and other wines and spirits, including rum, whisky and port. With the introduction, by Thomas Dakin's daughter-in-law Margaret, of the revolutionary Coffey method of continuous distillation in 1834, larger quantities of a better quality gin were able to be produced and the still is in use to this day.
The Dakin family became involved in local clubs and societies, where like-minded members met to discuss current affairs and do business. One of these, the Amicable Society, was where the relationship between the Dakin and Greenall families first began in 1788. Ties between them remained strong, with the Dakin's leasing the distillery to Gilbert and John Greenall in 1860. It was purchased outright by the Greenall's ten years later, when its name was changed to G&J Greenall; a name which has become synonymous with quality gin.
The distillery remained in the hands of the Greenall family from one generation to the next. Gin production stalled with the advent of the First World War, whilst it was halted during the Second World War, beginning again in the 1950s. By 1960, due to an increase in gin's popularity, the distillery moved to a larger site opposite the Greenall brewery. The following decades witnessed impressive growth in the company, largely due to the launch of Vladivar Vodka in 1971.
In 2005, a fire destroyed the warehouse but fortunately the stills were saved and production continued in a new distillery which was opened in Birchwood, Warrington. As a result of investment, and the commitment of the staff, the distillery was moved to a new site in 2008, where it continued to produce gin, as well as remaining at the forefront of the gin and vodka industry, with a wealth of own-brand and third-party products.