The land on which Langmeil Winery now stands was purchased by a 36 year old German blacksmith, Christian Auricht.
He and his family arrived in South Australia in 1838 after emigrating from eastern-central Europe (Silesia) to escape religious persecution.
It was their fifth move in seven years - from Klastawe to Turowo in 1837; to Hamburg in 1838; to South Australia and Glen Osmond in 1839; to Klemzig in 1840. Finally, to Langmeil, their home for the rest of their lives.
All their belongings were carried in a bullock dray.