The Chelsea distillery, located on Cale Street, opened under the control of the Taylor family. This would go on to become the first home of Beefeater Gin.
In 1876 Burrough starts producing many different brands of gin, including Beefeater, named after the Beefeaters at the Tower of London.
In 1963 Beefeater accounts for three out of every four bottles of gin imported into the US and in 1963 was the only gin selected to be on board the maiden voyage of the QEII to New York.
In 1987 Beefeater leaves the Burrough family after almost 100 years, and was sold to Whitbread.