Founded in 1781, Vidal-Fleury gained an international reputation very quickly. Thomas Jefferson's visit in 1787 was its first contact with the United States. During the 1890s, Gustave Vidal married a daughter of the Fleury family. Thanks to her dowry, they replanted the vineyard following the phylloxera outbreak.
As of the 1920s, the House took an interest in other wine-growing regions in the Rhone Valley. In the middle of the 20th century, Vidal-Fleury became the emblematic house of Côte-Rôtie. In 2008, a new development was set in motion by Vidal-Fleury thanks to its new cellar dedicated to maturing the wine.