One of the oldest Champagne houses, Lanson was founded in 1760 by by Francois Delamotte, a magistrate from Reims...
His son, Nicolas-Louis, a Knight of the Order of Malta, succeeded him in 1798 and adopted the Maltese Cross as the Company crest. In 1828, he formed a partnership with Jean-Baptiste Lanson, who, in 1837, gave the company the name of Lanson et Cie.
Forward-thinking and ambitious, Jean-Baptiste set out to conquer the newly emerging, export markets with the help of his two sons - Victor-Marie and Henri - exporting champagne to England, Holland and Russia.
In 1848, they moved into new premises on Boulevard Lundy in Reims, on the former site of a Gallo-Roman villa belonging to the Order of Templars - keepers of Maltese Cross.
The beautiful cellars in the Rue de Courlancy were acquired in the early 1900s. These developments proved highly successful and, during the late 19th Century, Lanson was supplying champagne by royal appointment to the courts of the United Kingdom, Sweden and Spain.
This success continued throughout the 20th Century and, today, the same ambitious spirit to conquer new markets has established Lanson as a Grande Maison, worldwide.