1729: The House of Ruinart was officially founded, for a royal decree allowing champagne wines to be transported in baskets containing 50 or 100 bottles was only issued on 25th May 1728. Prior to that date, wines had only been transported in wooden casks, this obviously being impossible for wines which champanization can only be realised in bottles.
The son of Nicolas Ruinart, brother of Dom Ruinart, himself named Nicolas, thus opened the first account book on 1st september 1729 with the following declaration, in the name of God and the Saint Virgin shall this book be commenced. This entry was to be official act establishing the First Champagne House.
1769: Nicolas Ruinart turned over the firm's management to his son Claude Ruinart. Sales soared to nearly 40.000 bottles.
1798: Irenee Ruinart, the son of Claude Ruinart who headed the firm until 1826, displayed a formidable ability to manage the house through the upheavals of the Revolution, the Empire and the Restoration. Ruinart became one of the leading champagne houses.
1826: Edmond Ruinart succeeded them for an especially notable eight-year period during which he opened up the U.S market. At the same time, he developed the Russian market, on which the first shipment dated from 1765.
1827: Edmond Ruinart sailed for American shores aboard a three-masted immigrant ship, and left a colourful description of his voyage which led him to the White House and an introduction to president Jackson.
In 1860 his son, Edgar, ensured the same success on the Russian market; during a long and extremely difficult trip, he meticulously noted all his expenditure and numerous misfortunes.
If the 18th century laid the foundation stones of the House, the 19th century was to be marked by an outstanding commercial expansion, and the 20th century by the communication era. Andre Ruinart's enthusiasm for the new spirit of aviation led him to offer a prize of 12,500 gold francs for the first cross-channel flight. The artist Mucha designed prints for the House to commemorate the event.
Today their successors strive relentlessly to develop and promote the brand name in order to perpetuate the Ruinart 'art de vivre'; to move with its time and to be associated with the most prestigious events.
On the eve of the 3rd millennium, on the occasion of the 270th anniversary of the House of Ruinart, the memory of the great Benedictine monk Dom Ruinart was perpetuated in September 1999 with the creation of his bronze statue, which can now be admired in the courtyard of Champagne Ruinart.