Bruichladdich was built in 1881 by Barnet Harvey at an ideal location on the edge of Loch Indaal, on the Rhinns, the most westerly point of Islay.
At the time it was a state-of-the-art plant, and it has remained very much the same ever since with most of the original equipment still in use.
Using cavity walls and a new fangled material - concrete, made from pebbles from the sea shore, this was a purpose built plant (most other ones had been adapted from farm buildings) and so is efficiently laid out, built around a central courtyard that housed the Kiln (removed in 1961) and a large steam engine that provided the power.
After several corporate amalgamations over the last thirty years, it was found to be "surplus to requirements", and was closed down in 1994; it has been silent ever since. That is, until 2001 when the plant was entirely renovated.
All the Victorian equipment, much of it still original nineteenth century engineering was been retained. The machinery, boilers, pipe work and electrics were completely dismantled and reassembled by a team of highly dedicated and talented engineers.