Chanson Pere & Fils
Founded in 1750, Chanson Pere & Fils was one of the first generation of wine companies who appeared in Beaune during the 18th Century. The history of the House of Chanson is intimately linked with the wines of Burgundy: they have shared the same destiny for 250 years.
Since 1774, its wines have been sheltered by the 26 feet thick defensive walls of the "Bastion de l'Oratorie", the biggest tower of Beaune built by Francois 1st of France to defend the town to prevent the return of the Heirs of Charles the Bold.
A specialist in Beaune Premier Cru wines, Chanson have now a total of 28 hectares of Domaine vineyards in the Cote d'Or. The Chanson domaine consists entirely of Premier Cru vines apart from one Grand Cru, Corton-Vergennes.
The holding comprises of 27 hectares in the Beaune appellation, 7 hectares at Pernand-Vergelesses, and 4 hectares at Savigny-les-Beaune. The vines themselves - 7 hectares of Chardonay and 31 of Pinot Noir - are on average 20 years old. Committed to their heritage, Chanson study the individual vineyard plots in order to better understand the workings of each patch of soil and how each responds to human intervention. Concern for soil quality means that Chanson's vineyards are worked in a way that promotes micro-biological activity.
One of Chanson's appellations which stands apart from the rest is Beaune Clos des Feves, a rare monopoly holding pieced together over the space of two hundred years - the last few square yards having been purchased in 1968. This four hectare named plot stands 250 metres above sea level and has an easterly exposure. It produces a delicate and velvety wine which won its first gold medal at the Universal Exhibition as long ago as 1900.
Chanson also produces wines from other Burgundy growers. Chanson apply the most demanding standards to both the Domaine vineyards and those of their suppliers. In creating the wines which carry their name, no effort is spared to bring out the full delicacy, balance and purity of the fruit.
In September 1999 Chanson was acquired by Societe Jacques Bollinger Group