The distillery was founded in 1839 by Alexander Matheson and is settled on the banks of the Cromarty Firth, facing the fertile Black Isle. The aim of Matheson by creating this distillery was not to run it, but to hire it. The first tenants of the distillery were the Sutherland family. Among the members of this family, Margaret Sutherland hired the distillery from 1860 to 1866. Her nickname was "Sometime distiller" because she only worked when she had time to... Andrew Mackenzie took over the lease in 1866 after a short period (less than one year) when Robert Pattison hired the distillery. Andrew joined together with his friends William and Charles to found the Mackenzie Brothers company. Business was good and production was doubled in 1874 by the addition of two new stills. The Mackenzie brothers acquired the distillery in 1891. Business became worse from 1910 and the distillery had to close for about 10 years. During this time, the distillery has been used by the British army to produce mines. All the casks were brought back to the distillery in 1920 and the production resumed in 1921 after important alteration works. The Mackenzies were close friends of James Whyte and Charles MacKay whose company, Whyte & MacKay took control of the distillery some years later. The production capacity of Dalmore has been doubled again in 1966. The company was renamed in 1996 in J.B.B. (Greater Europe) and become Kindal Spirits Ltd in 2001, before being renamed again in 2003 to White and MacKay. A great part of the production is used in the blends Whyte and MacKay and the Claymore.