TheDrinkShop.com Logo

Glencadam

www.glencadamwhisky.com   Glencadam Logo

The Glencadam distillery was founded in 1825 near the Royal Borough Brechin by George Copper. Two years later it was sold to David Scott. In 1895, the distillery has been taken over by the Edinburgh blender Gilmour Thomson and Co.

In the early 1900's, the Glencadam malt was part of the "Gilmour Thomson's Royal", one of the favourite whiskies of King Edward VII.

In 1954 the distillery has been bought and modernised by Hiram Walker and Sons through its daughter society Ballantine's, who used the whisky in their blends. Hiram Walker became part of Allied Lyons in 1987. The latter merged with Pedro Domecq in 1994 to become Allied Domecq Limited.

In May 2003, the distillery became the property of Angus Dundee Distillers. Almost all the production is used in the Ballantine's blends: Ballantines and Stewart's Cream of the Barley Blends.