The Lochside distillery was founded by the MacNab Distillers Company on the site of an old brewery (Deuchars & Sons), settled in the town of Montrose in 1957. The distillery was producing malt and grain whisky up to the early 1970's. The distillery was sold to the Spanish group Domecq who immediately stopped the grain whisky production. The company Allied Lyons bought the distillery in 1994, and it was mothballed soon after this. The distillery was demolished in 2005 and replaced by a garden centre.