Situated on the banks of the Forth and Clyde canal and close to the River Carron, the distillery had the advantage of being near the main road and a coalfield thus enabling it to have cheaply transported fuel. The main reason this site was chosen for a distillery as early as 1817 was because of the 'inexhaustible supply of water' from the Glenbirnie rivulet, a tributary of the River Carron. It was rebuilt in a modern form in the mid 1800s and comprises two ranges of buildings divided by the canal. It is one of those rare malts which goes through a triple distillation process. This distillery was closed in 1993.