Built by Thomas MacKenzie, it coincided with Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee which was no doubt an influencing factor when naming the distillery. With a shaky start and history Imperial distillery started production in the summer of 1898 only to close a year later for over 20 years. Production did recommence in 1919 but, again, for only six years. The construction of Imperial differs from other Speyside distilleries as it was built of red Aberdeen brick with an iron beam and pillar framework to make it fire resistant. From 1897until 1955 a gilt imperial crown adorned the top of the malting house. Imperial fell silent during the 1980's. It was purchased in 1989 by Allied Distillers who, after some work, reopened the distillery in 1991. It was mothballed in 1998.