Glenlochy was built in 1898 by the Glenlochy - Fort William Distillery Co Ltd, founded by David McAndie of Nairn. McAndie hoping to be part of the whisky boom but left it too late and opened during the Pattison crash. Glenlochy was in production until 1919 it then fell silent, apart from a short period during 1925, till 1937.Thomas Rankin, a local car hirer, bought the distillery in 1937 but it was not long before he sold it onto Train and McIntyre. Train and McIntyre then transferred it to their subsidiary Associated Scottish Distillers Ltd, who acquired Bruichladdich, Benromach, Fettercairn, Glenesk, Glenury Royal and Strathdee distilleries around the same time. In 1953 Train and McIntyre was acquired by DCL. DCL kept Glenlochy in production until 1983, it was closed due to the rationalisation programme. In 1992 the site was then sold to West Coast Inns Ltd, everything in the distillery was destroyed and made into a hotel complex apart from the maltings and kilns as they are listed buildings.