Lurgashall Winery

Lurgashall Winery Logo

Nestling beneath Blackdown, the highest point in West Sussex, where Alfred Lord Tennyson once had his home, Aldworth, stands Lurgashall Winery. The Winery is housed in a complex of converted 17th and 18th Century award winning farm buildings, whose rustic nature compliments the country style products of the Winery. Inside, the site is anything but rustic, being self-contained with fermentation, maturation and bottling vats, and modern, high quality equipment in a sterile bottling room. Also on site is a fully equipped laboratory for testing wine production at each stage under the careful eye of our resident Winemaker. The Winery attracts some 35,000 visitors annually through the shop and offers a variety of tours and tastings to clubs, associations and groups who can also visit the herb garden next to the shop that has some 55 medieval herbs on display. Lurgashall Winery began production in 1985 following the acquisition of the Malmesbury Mead and Wine Company that had 2 employees, no more than 12 customers and produced 1,000 bottles of wines and meads. This acquisition was quickly followed by the strategic purchase of a major portion of Davis Wines, a brewer of country wines since 1855 and this purchase gave the Winery an interesting range of liqueurs that has been successfully developed over subsequent years.